TOP KITE SPOTS IN SRI LANKA
Did you hear that Sri Lanka is the new top kitesurfing destination? In Sri Lanka you will find the most terrific kitesurfing spots in Asia. Yes, indeed you can find some of the best spots in the world in the west coast of Sri Lanka. With more than 400 km of coastline there are countless of kite spots with super steady wind! Are you wondering where to kite in Sri Lanka? Near Kalpitiya you fill find the most authentic kitesurfing spots in Sri Lanka!
Sri Lanka is called the Pearl of the Indian ocean. This island is a very beautiful country located in south of India and during the last years it has become a very important tourist destination. Apart from its cultural heritage, Sri Lanka offers some of the best kitesurfing spots in Asia
The main kitesurfing season in Sri Lanka is from ending of May up to ending September-beginning of May. During these months the wind is quite strong, with an average of 18 to 20 knots approximately. By the other hand, in winter time, the wind average is around 14 to 16 knots. It doesn´t matter in which season you are travelling to Sri Lanka for a kitesurfing trip, because you can do kite trips anytime it is windy!!
The best kite spot in Sri Lanka to learn kitesurfing is located in Kalpitiya, where there is a lagoon with flat water. Depending on the tide sometimes the water is also very shallow, so it is a very good spot to learn kite. Also, from Kalpitiya, many kitesurfers go to other spots around, like the Vella Island kite trip, the Ippantivu island kite trip or the Dream spot kite trip! All these kite spots have flat water what is super suitable for whoever want to practise some kite tricks!
Are there other interesting kite spots in Sri Lanka?
Yes, there is a small lagoon called Kappaladi and it is also very near from Kalpitiya. You can learn kitesurfing in Kappaladi very easily because it is a small lagoon and very safe to learn kite.
Apart from Kappaladi, you can also do kite in Puttalam lagoon. Puttalam lagoon is a huge lagoon with more than 60 km large so you can imagine! It is like a flat water ocean! If you have the chance, you can organise a kitesurfing trip by the Puttalam lagoon to visit many islands around!
If you want to do kite in the east coast, you can fo to Arugam Bay, where the wind is no consistent as in the west coast, but this village is really authentic. Arugam Bay became very famous as a surfing destination and now is a touristic village full of surfers and with very good vibes!
What most of the people do when coming to Sri Lanka for a kitesurfing trip is go to Kalpitiya first and from Kalpitiya they plan some kitesurfing trips to some of the best kite spots in Sri Lanka. Nowadays most of the resorts in KAlpitiya can organise very easily kite trips.
Most amazing kite spots in Sri Lanka
Are you planning to travel to Sri Lanka and do you want to know what are the main kitesurfing spots around? In this post you are going to find some of the best kitesurfing spots in Sri Lanka. All the west coast in Sri Lanka is windy during 9 months of the year. However, the wind direction is different depending on the season. That is why while some spots are good in winter time, some other spots are good only during summer time. Some other spots are ok to kite during both seasons:
Where to kite in Sri Lanka during summer time? What are the main kitesurfing spots in summer?
- Kalpitiya lagoon: this is the main kitesurfing spot in Sri Lanka
- Dream spot: Located in the Dutch Bay, only 15 min from Kalpitiya (you have to go by boat)
- Donkey Point: In order to the get to the dream spot you have to go to Kandakuliya town. Here you can kite in the sea. You are not going to find very good waives but it is worthy to go to catch the best wind in Kalpitiya
- Kappaladi lagoon. Small lagoon with very steady wind. There are some kite schools
- Vella island: best kite spot in Sri Lanka. If you come for kitesurfing to kalpitiya you cannot miss this spot. Vella island is a very long island with super flat water
- Ippantivu island: this small island is located in Puttalam lagoon. Sometimes the wind could be stronger than in kalpitiya
Where to kite during winter time? What are the main kitesurfing spots in winter?
- Kalpitiya lagoon
- Dream spot
- Vella island
- Navy Point: this is the perfect spot to go in winter time. The Navy Point is located at the end of the Dutch Bay and it is a huge pool of flat water. From the Navy Point it is worthy to go downwind to the Dram spot or even to Kalpitiya
There are other kitesurfing spots in the south coast and the east coast of Sri Lanka with no so consistent wind, however I would like to mention too. Arugam Bay for example, is very known as a surfing destiny but you can do kite in Arugam Bay too depending on the day. In south also, you can kite in beaches like Matara, where during some days in spring time and summer time it is very windy.